The unfortunate reality is that pedestrians and cars do not mix well, despite the fact that we all try to use the same roads to navigate Redondo Beach. In California, accidents happen every year. Some are fatal. Some lead to serious injuries. Pedestrians are especially vulnerable, and any accidents can have devastating ramifications.
So, what can you do to stay safe? Here are a few useful tips:
- Do not drink: In around 34 percent of deadly pedestrian crashes, those pedestrians had been drinking alcohol. Stay sober and stay safe.
- Wear clothes that make it easy for drivers to see you: Do not go for a walk in a dark sweatshirt at night. Pick bright colors, such as lime yellow or orange. Consider buying a jacket with reflective stripes if you need to go out after dark.
- Look at drivers if you ever need to walk in front of a car: Do not go in front of the vehicle until they make eye contact with you so that you can be sure they know you’re there.
- Leave the distractions at home: Do not walk near traffic while talking on the phone, sending text messages, listening to music or doing anything else that pulls your mind and eyes away from the road.
- Use crosswalks whenever you can: Follow the basic rules of the road. If you’re out at night, look for crosswalks that are well-lit, even if it means walking a little farther to get to an intersection.
If all of these tips still do not keep you from getting hurt in an accident, make sure you know what legal options you have to seek out compensation.